Venue: Jaffery Islamic Centre
Date: Every Friday and Saturday
13/7/2011
I am currently in my last year of religion classes. The last year does not have specific subjects like the previous years - Akhlaaq (manners/etiquettes), Islamic History, Quran and Islamic Jurisdiction. It is more of discussions of today's issues and the problems youths face from the Islamic perspective. So far, the knowledge I have gained through this institution is countless. The lessons I have learnt from the classes are life-changing. You see, Islam is a religion as well as a culture hence all that I have learnt, I have applied to my daily life, not only to become a better person but a better Muslim.
These classes have elucidated me more about my religion and has developed me as a person and Muslim and the importance of religion.
17/11/2011
I have learnt not to differentiate between religion and my daily life because it encompasses the same thing. Now that I have finished and graduated from this class, I have taken up teaching younger children how to recite the Quran. I get immense experience through this activity and it gives me pleasure to pass on my knowledge to others who might use it better than I have. Teaching also gives me experience for future endaveours and teaches me the etiquettes of treating others and how or when to react.
Teaching has really boosted my confidence as well as my oratory power because I do not get stuck with words as much as I used to. I know how to talk to people well and I can argue my way out of things respectfully. I have also learnt how to approach children more appropriately and how to deal with them.
I cherish the opportunity to teach others as it offers me opportunities I would otherwise would never have had.
26/12/2011
I do not only teach for the sake of earning community service hours for my diploma as was my initial intention. I teach because I have grown to like it, to impart my skills to those sharper minds who can deal with more at their age.
Every Saturday at 5.15 pm. Quran classes are held until 6.15 which is when I teach the children. It is a difficult task because we have to teach children from nothing. Learning the basics is the most difficult task and the responsibility falls in the teacher to do his/her job well. Fortunately, my class is quite dedicated and are willing to learn the recitation of the Quran. Therefore, it is also easier on me to teach them what they need to know. For this reason, I have been quite successful in my objective to teach them the basics of the recitation. Although it was not my initial objective to be so dedicated to this purpose, I started liking it and looked forward to going on Saturday afternoon even with the work load from school.
One difficulty that I faced was the reduced time I had for my academics. I had to prepare for the class as well as go to the centre to teach. This took up two to three hours of my studying time which I consider crucial. However, since I had already committed to teaching this, I needed to do it well. Instead, I stayed up a bit longer everyday to complete all my other school work.

No comments:
Post a Comment